Struggling to get a Ghanaian passport? worry less, you can now apply and renew your Ghanaian passport online. Here is the notice from the ministry urging all citizens to prioritize the online application and renewal.
Ghana passport online application
First Time Applicants
- Birth Certificate (Proof of Ghanaian citizenship)
- Documents to support Identity such as Driver’s Licence, National ID card
- Proof of Profession (An introductory letter from the applicant’s employer that is if the applicant is currently employed or a work ID card that bears the applicant’s name, organisation’s name and position. A student ID if the applicant is currently in school. Homemakers/housewives and applicants that are unemployed and those in the non-formal sector of employment like mechanics, hairdressers seamstresses, traders etc. do not need proof. Registered Business Owners and self-employed applicants must produce their business registration certificate as proof)
Renewing Applicants (Biometric)
- First page and bio-data page with picture and information page
- Valid Visa if the applicant has any in Old Passport
- Last page
- Proof of Profession if changed
Types of Ghanaian Passport Application and their cost
There are two types of Application. The first one is the Expedited Application aka “Express” and the other one is the Standard application that takes a longer time to process. Each of these Applications has a 32 booklet page or a 48 booklet page.
|Application Type||Booklet Pages||Price (GHS)|
How to Apply for a Ghanaian Passport Online
Estimate Cost : 100 GHS
Time Needed : 15 days
Every Ghanaian can apply for a Passport via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website. This guide will guide you through the process.
- Create an account on the Application PortalVisit the Ghana Passport Application Portal at https://passport.mfa.gov.gh. You should then click on sign up to create a new account. Confirm the account by entering the SMS you receive in the confirmation box.
- Start a new Ghana Passport ApplicationLogin to the portal with your Username and Password. Click on Start New Application and make payment for the processing fee.
You can make the payment by choosing a bank, then choosing an application type (standard or expedited), and the payment channel to make payment. After successfully paying the processing fee, the form is issued into your account to continue with your passport application. This form can be found at “My Applications”
Ghana passport online application
- Fill and complete the application form, once you go the the “My Applications” section of your portal, click on the application and start to fill in all the required details. When you have confirmed that all the information is accurate, sign the Declaration Form.
- Book an appointment date to visit the Passport Application Centre, You can select the Passport Application Centre (PAC) nearest to you or the one you most prefer. Once that is done, book a date you will like to go to the PAC for the verification of your documents and to take your biometric details (i.e. photograph and fingerprints). You can then print the final document and take to your guarantor to fill while you wait for your appointment date.
- Visit the Passport Application Centre, Once you have your signed forms, you can present yourself on the appointment date to the Passport Application Center you chose. Your documents will be verified and your biometric details will also be taken. After your appointment, the PAC will indicate to you when your passport will be ready for collection.
- Collect your Ghana Passport, You will receive an SMS once your Passport is ready for collection. When you receive this message, you will have to visit the Passport Application Centre you did your biometrics at to claim your completed Ghana passport
Online Passport Application Centres in Ghana
There used to be only 5 Online Passport Application Centres in Ghana. Right now, all 11 application centres in the country take care of online applications.
You can select any of them during the application process and you will go there for your biometrics and receiving of the passport when it is done.
Here is the list of the Passport Application Centres in Ghana to finish your biometric application process and where you can find them:
|Passport Application Centre||Location|
|Accra Premium PAC||Accra Digital Center, Adjacent State Housing Company, Ring Road West, Accra – See Directions|
|Kumasi Premium PAC||2nd Floor, Thankful Heights Building, Adum, Kumasi – See Directions|
|Accra PAC||Kinbu Road (Old Foreign Affairs) – See directions|
|Ridge PAC||Ridge, Accra|
|Koforidua PAC||PWD Office, SSNIT Office Area, Koforidua – See Directions|
|Tema PAC||Former IRS Office, Community 4, Tema – See Directions|
|Kumasi PAC||Guggisberg Road, Opposite PWD, Adum, Ministries|
|Takoradi PAC||Ghana Immigration Head Quarters (Within the Regional Administration)|
|Sunyani PAC||Adjacent to Jubilee (shares a wall with the Park)|
|Ho PAC||Regional Administration (Shares building with Immigration)|
|Tamale PAC||Police Park (Old Library)|
Kindly note that the Premium Passport Application centres in Ghana give a faster and VIP experience at an additional cost.
How to get your Ghanaian Passport in 15 days
Starting from this year, 2019, the Government of Ghana has introduced the premium service for Passport to make the process even faster. This was after the passport form was made available for free to download and fill.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has commissioned a fast-track application process office known as the Premium Passport Processing Centre at the Accra Digital Centre (Contact: +233303978399 for directions).
To use this passport service, applicants will go through the usual vetting and passport applications. They will fill the form online (as described in this article below).
At the end of the application process, there are two options to choose from. Choose premium application centre
You will be given a date to go to the office. There, you will pay GHS 60 and the process will be underway.
You will receive text confirmation messages from the Ghana Passport Application Centre on the status of your passport.
When you receive the final message, which looks like: “Hello Mfidie, Your passport G2****1 is ready for collection at Premium PAC – Accra Passport Office. The collection time is 9:30 am to 3 pm. Thank you.”, you can go to the Premium Passport Application centre to collect your passport.
In total, you pay the following for passport and processing:
- GHS 160 for Standard Application (32 Booklet Page) + Premium PAC
- GHS 210 for Express Application (32 Booklet Page) + Premium PAC
Updates and important notes on Ghana passport online application
- 01/03/2020: The online process is now the only way to apply for a Ghana Passport.
- 31/01/2020: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has reviewed upwards, the prices for the various passport services. This article has been updated to reflect that.
- 24/01/2020: All Passport Application Centres in Ghana now support the online application. The manual way of applying for Ghana Passport will no longer work from 1st March 2020.
- 23/01/2020: Note: The Passport Application Centre has confirmed that they don’t accept laminated birth certificates.
- 01/01/2020: There have been lots of reports of delays at the Kinbu Passport Application Centre so it’s best to choose the Premium Centre @ Accra Digital Centre.
- 13/11/2019: There are now 5 places nationwide to process your online passport. The latest in the list is Kumasi Premium Passport Application centre at Adum.
- 20/06/2019: There are now 4 places to process your passport application at.
- 21/03/2019: By paying an additional GHS 50, you can have your passport delivered to your home.
- 01/11/2018: From November 2018, the offline process of the application for a Ghanaian passport has been partially taken online. This involves downloading the passport application form for free in PDF.
- 29/01/19: Banks in Ghana are no longer selling Passport Forms starting from 28th February 2019.
How can I pay to Apply for Ghana Passport Online?
There are a lot of options when it comes to paying for the online form. You can use the MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash or Vodafone Cash. Find the partner banks too and their mode of payment.
|Bank||Available Purchase Channels|
|EcoBank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, VISA & MasterCard, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash.|
|GCB Bank||Branches nationwide, Vodafone Cash.|
|Zenith Bank Ghana||Branches nationwide, Airtel Money, MTN Mobile Money, Tigo Cash, Vodafone Cash, VISA & MasterCard.|
Using Mobile money to apply or register for Passport in Ghana
If you would want to use Mobile Money to pay for the Passport online:
- Register a new account on the portal by visiting: https://passport.mfa.gov.gh
- Click on Applications
- Click New Application
- When Payment comes, choose EcoBank, GCB Bank or Zenith Bank
- After that, choose MTN Mobile Money or your preferred network
- Enter your number and confirm the payment via your phone
- The Portal will now allow you to continue the application process
Frequently Asked Questions about Ghana passport online application
How much does it cost to get a passport in Ghana?
It cost GHS 100 for the Standard Passport Application online in Ghana. However, the price might increase when you choose a premium, express service or a 48-page passport booklet.How long does it take to get a Ghanaian passport?
It takes a minimum of 15 days to get a passport in Ghana when it is expedited and submitted at the premium passport application centre.How can I apply for passport online?
To apply for a Ghana Passport, follow the online steps that have been outlined on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or learn more here.What do I need to get a passport in Ghana?
To apply for a new passport in Ghana, you need your Ghana Birth Certificate or other proof of Ghanaian citizenship, other identity documents, proof of profession and a guarantor.How do I renew my Ghana Passport online?
Renewing a Ghana passport online is the same process as applying for a new one. However, you the only document you need to present is your old biometric passport.
Facts about Ghanaian Passport
Ghanaian passports are issued exclusively by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration to Ghanaians granted citizenship in accordance with the Ghanaian nationality law. There are three types of passport booklets – contemporary (regular), service, and diplomatic passports. Ghanaian passport booklets are valid for travel by Ghanaians anywhere in the world, although the holder may need to obtain a visa from the destination country when travelling for some purposes. More than one valid Ghanaian passport of the same type may not be held.
The following information about the owner is printed on the identification page in both English and French:
|TypeCode of issuing statePassport numberSurnameGiven name(s)NationalityDate of birth||ResidenceSexPlace of birthPlace of issueDate of issueDate of expiry|
The standards for the photograph are:
- 2 in × 2 in (5.1 cm × 5.1 cm)
- Front view, full face, open eyes, closed mouth, and natural expression
- Full head from top of hair to shoulders
- Plain background
- No shadows on face or in background
- No sunglasses; no hat
- Normal contrast and lighting but must not be blurred
Passports of many countries contain a message, nominally from the official who is in charge of passport issuance (e.g., secretary of state, minister of foreign affairs), addressed to authorities of other countries. The message identifies the bearer as a citizen of the issuing country, requests that he or she be allowed to enter and pass through the other country, and requests further that, when necessary, he or she be given help consistent with international norms. In Ghanaian passports, the message is in English and reads:
Thanks for reading, Share your thoughts and problems with us on Ghana passport online application below!